Last year Brendon and I made plans to go on a 5 day ski break without Owen. It was the very first trip without our little cherub. We flew Granny Lynese and Grandpa Douglas over from the UK to take care of our precious bundle. His meals were cooked and frozen, the menu drawn up, emergency numbers printed. All set to go. The morning finally dawned. It was 5.45am. I was battling to leave the house. Teary-eyed I hopped in the Volvo and Brendon sped away with me still waving madly at the Morris clan left behind. The first day went well only a 7.5 hour drive to our destination. A call to granny and grandpa set my mind at rest. Owen had survived the day without mommy and mommy like-wise. Day 2: Brendon and I were distracted by our inability to get down the children's training slope on two ski's. One of us would wind up at the bottom in a pile of snow and equipment. Luckily by the afternoon we were feeling confident enough to venture onto the beginners slopes. Confidence = a lack of brain cells or too much Dutch courage. Who on God's green earth would classify a field with wooden huts dotted around a beginners slope. 3 x on this slope (including taking the ski's off and walking partly down) and it was time for a coffee. Eventually we left to look for greener pastures so to speak. Brendon and I did not escape unscathed - bruises, scrapped knuckles. All of our incidents occurred, funny enough, not whilst we were skiing down the slopes. Now I am not sure if I could let Owen get a taste of this sport. Eventually Brendon and I were timing ourselves down the slopes. Judging by Owens lack of fear I am not sure that I will allow him to ski, ever! Each evening we spoke to Lynese, Douglas and Owen on the Skype web cam. It was so good to see Owen having a good time and behaving in his usual cheerful way. After what seemed like an eternity I made sure we were in the Volvo by 8am latest and on our way home to our precious little boy. We missed him so and the last 2 hours of our trip felt like eternity. It did not help that every breakfast and dinner we had a 14 month old boy sitting next to us at the next table with his parents at our hotel. He made my heart melt and I was always tempted to pick him up and giving him a big love. We made it home. Owen was smothered with hugs and kisses. He battled to go to bed that night and was still singing in his bed at 8.45pm. Granny and grandpa did a wonderful job and we were pleased they had survived Owen.

1 comment:
Thank you. Such lovely photos too. When Owen reads this he will understand why he was never given permission to ski. (I am however sure that in time you will change your mind.)
Post a Comment