Thursday, 30 April 2009

Queens Day

It is day 12 of Brendon's business trips which was split into 2 trips with 1.5 days of that being spent here at home. He is due home tonight with Evelyn and Evangeline. I cannot wait! I need to be left alone by the grubby biscuit paws of the little "sausage". During the 1.5 days home Brendon was jet-lagged and I was Owen-lagged. We were all a bunch of zombies with bad moods. Owen has 3 new teeth, I have 2 sets of matching luggage. I feel like I haven't sleep in weeks. Just when I shut my eyes it seems 2 hours pass and Owen is wailing in his bed. Yip, every 2 hours from 8.30pm to 5.30/6am. One has to love moments in life like this when you begin to question the reason for having children. Anyway, this stage too will pass.

Today is Queens Day. One of the two phenomenons in Dutch history, according to Wendy Morris. The other phenomenon is the annual pilgramage: camping with the caravan.
On Queens Day, which is to celebrate Queen Julianna's birthday (30th not being her birthday anyway), the Queen has allowed free trade. Now the Dutch don't need a big carrot to try to earn an easy Euro. All and sundry were out with their "spulle" aka "stuff" that is no longer needed. Wandering around this enormous flea market one cannot help but think Holland has a luxury problem. So much stuff! Maybe the recession has prompted many more to join the tables but I think making an easy Euro makes some of them tick. I was keen on the idea of doing this once before we left, if we ever do, but came to the conclusion 10 minutes later that this could be more energy draining than keeping Owen out of mischief on our outings. I've vitoed that idea. Anyway, I decided that Owen needed to have this experience as it is only once a year and after all he is a Dutchie himself. So off we went. He loved the loud noise and music and joined in unharmoniously with his dolphin decibel screeches much to the amusement of the old toppies hanging about. We passed stall after stall of stuff and by the time we got to the end I was pushing a bead and Owen was like "ok, this is boring now". We watched a bit of dancing and chatted to a couple of friends and then made our way home watching the flags waving in the wind as we walked.



1 comment:

Lynese Morris said...

What fun. i would have loved to be there. I can just picture him looking at the flags as he loved to do that at the shopping center and on Market Day. You do see life with him around.